3M™ PELTOR™ ComTac™ and SWAT-TAC™ are two product lines of hearing protection designed specifically for military and law enforcement personnel. These products provide advanced hearing protection and communication capabilities in high-noise environments.
They have new omni-directional microphones, high-fidelity speakers, and a new digital signal processor that are optimized to transmit voice communication and can pick up sounds with great sensitivity with an excellent signal-to-noise ratio for unmatched sound clarity and clear and accurate sound replication.
The 3M™ PELTOR™ ComTac™ & SWAT-TAC™ Electronic Headset
These headsets are used by military and law enforcement personnel, as well as in personal settings such as shooting ranges or gun owner training programs, where noise levels can pose a risk to your hearing. The 3M PELTOR ComTac and SWAT-TAC headsets are designed to be durable, comfortable, and easy to use, making them an ideal choice for professionals who need reliable communication and hearing protection in challenging environments.
The 3M™ PELTOR™ ComTac™ headsets are available in several models, including ComTac™ V, and ComTac™ VI. Each model of headset has different features and capabilities, such as Bluetooth connectivity electronic hearing protection, environmental microphones, and compatibility with various communication devices.
- Hearing Defender
- Single Down Lead
- Double Down Lead
The 3M™ PELTOR™ ComTac™ VI is an improved version of the 3M Peltor ComTac V. Offering improved noise attenuation, environmental listening, NIB feature (natural interaction behavior), clearer voice communication throughout, and a more natural-sounding headset with ear cup profiles for better fit and comfort.
In addition to its noise cancelling microphone and amplification capabilities, the 3M Peltor ComTac VI also features a high level of auditory situational awareness and protection for the user in high-noise environments.
This 3M Peltor ComTac VI Headset has had its legacy boom mic (for external communications radio) replaced with the MT33. This boom greatly improves the audio transmission in various noise conditions, with the main and most critical improvement being its noise cancellation performance.
It also has Bluetooth connectivity, which allows it to communicate wirelessly with other Bluetooth-enabled devices such as smartphones and tablets.
The 3M™ PELTOR™ SWAT-TAC™
The SWAT-TAC™ headset uses advanced electronic technology to amplify low-level sounds while reducing high-level sounds to safe levels. This means that users can hear quiet sounds, such as whispers or footsteps, while also being protected from loud sounds, harmful noises such as gunshots or explosions.
The headset also includes a noise-canceling microphone, which allows for clear communication in noisy environments.
Here are some of the different types of 3M™ PELTOR™ SWAT-TAC™ headsets:
- SWAT-TAC™ III ACH Communication Headset: This model is designed for use with advanced combat helmets (ACH). It offers advanced communication capabilities, including ambient listening and 3D audio for improved situational awareness. This model has been discontinued and has been replaced with the SWAT-TAC™ V or SWAT-TAC™ VI headsets. (make italics text red color please)
- SWAT-TAC™ V Tactical Communication and Hearing Protection System: This model offers advanced communication and hearing protection capabilities, including impulse noise protection and ambient listening. It is designed for use in high-noise environments, such as tactical military and law enforcement operations.
- SWAT-TAC™ VI NIB Communication Headset: The NIB (natural interaction behavior) is a low-profile communication headset designed for covert operations. It has advanced communication capabilities and can communicate with a variety of radios and other communication devices.
ANSI Hearing Protection Standards
The 3M Peltor ComTac Headset is a tactical communication device that is designed to be used with helmets and accessories mounted, and meets the ANSI S3.19 (1974) and S12.6 (1997) standards for hearing protection.
In addition, the 3M Peltor ComTac Tactical Headset also meets the U.S. military's hearing protection requirements, including the MIL-STD-810G standard for sound quality and environmental performance and the MIL-STD-461G standard for electromagnetic compatibility of equipment.
These features mean that the headsets are specifically designed to reduce the level of noise that reaches the user's ears to a safe level, and makes them an ideal choice for combat support operations!
What is 'NIB' (Natural Interaction Behavior)?
NIB (Natural Interaction Behavior): Available only with the ComTac VI and SWAT-TAC VI model. NIB is a short-distance headset communication feature with a full headset to headset communication in a high-noise environment without external communication radio. NIB allows four teams to speak simultaneously communicate in 2 way at once, and more than 60 people can communicate within a 2 way, 5-meter radius.
What is the difference in the models?
The Hearing Defender model has no communication capabilities and is intended to provide environmental listening for auditory situational awareness and helps protect from hazardous steady-state and impulse noise.
The Single Downlead model has one down lead for connection to a two-way radio or other communication equipment.
The Dual Downlead model has two down leads for connection to two communication devices at a time.
How to clean 3M™ PELTOR™ ComTac™ & SWAT-TAC™ Headset?
Cleaning is an essential component of maintaining your 3M Peltor ComTac or SWAT-TAC Tactical Headset. Here are the procedures to follow in order to clean your headset:
- Remove the ear cushions: Gently pull the ear cushions off the ear cups.
- Clean the ear cushions: Wipe the ear cushions with a damp cloth. If they are heavily soiled, you can wash them with mild soap and water. Allow them to air dry completely before reattaching them to the ear cups.
- Clean the ear cups: Wipe the ear cups with a damp cloth to remove dirt and debris. Avoid using abrasive materials or chemicals that could damage the headset.
- Clean the microphone: Use a soft-bristled brush or compressed air to remove any dirt or debris from the microphone.
- Clean the cables: Wipe the cables with a damp cloth to remove any dirt or debris. If the cables are heavily soiled, you can wash them with mild soap and water. Allow them to air dry completely before using the headset.
- Reassemble the headset: Once all the components are clean and dry, reassemble the headset by reattaching the ear cushions to the ear cups.
By following these steps, you can keep your 3M Peltor headset clean and functioning properly.